Fuck the Joneses.

'nuff said, right? Of course not!

I went on a mini-road trip today and had lots of car thinking time. I was thinking how I don't think it's important to keep up with mainstream society. I started thinking about some of my friends who would agree with me, but then if I really think about it...their "Joneses" still exist, just a different breed. The Joneses who need to impress each other with their "naturalness". You know the ones, uber-crunchy to the point of ridiculous. They are all about impressing their other crunch friends with how "against the norm" they can be. It's not about living deliberately and like they want to live, it's living to impress others. The others just aren't what we normally think of. Getting in a pissing match over who breastfed their babies longer, who buys more organic food. I know someone like this. They talk all about how "liberal" they are. But you know what? They are wearing their hippy clothes and going "au natural" JUST LIKE ALL THEIR FRIENDS. But when it really comes down to the natural sides of life, what do they do? Well, they don't cloth diaper. They don't breastfeed past 6 mos. They gag at the thought of cloth menstrual pads. And they drive a freakin' Tahoe even though they only have one small child.
Well guess what!? Sometimes I rock out in the car to Britney Spears. And the Def Leppard Greatest Hits CD may be one of the best things I can think of right now. LOL.
I might wipe my butt with flannel, but I'm not above marrying a dude from the trailer park. And I LOVE bacon. What would my Buddhist brethren think?

Sometimes mainstream is just fine.

Be who you really are :)