Homework for Lesson 4

I'm taking this online course through Barnes & Noble, and there are just too many people there. When I started, I thought it was so great. I thought I'd be able to follow along with the post and get insight and ideas from other students. Now there are so many participants that I just can't read it all. I scan through for posts from the instructor and friends who are on there, but that's about it.
I figure it's part of my simplification....spending less time on the computer! I read what I need to and get off.

Anyway, here's my "homework" for journaling:
The introductory quote at the beginning of the work chapter is "What is at the center of your life? Carefully examine where you spend your attention, your time. Look at your appointment book, your daily schedule…. This is what receives your care and attention—and by definition, your love." When you look carefully at your daily schedule, what do you see?
I see chaos. I see someone who spends too much time on the computer "playing" just to waste time. I've started making progress on this. I realized that I compute because the baby is crabby & needs to be held, and I can't possibly get any housework done lugging around 22 lbs. That's okay, though, he needs me, and I enjoy the cuddly time. But what I DON'T have to do is sit here at the computer. I can be sitting in the floor interacting and playing with my other children as I entertain the baby. I've been doing that a lot today, and it feels great.

Consider these two rules from Janet Luhrs's dad: 1) Find something you love to do and get paid for it. 2) Live under your means. If you followed those two rules, would you spend your time in a different way? How?
Well, I'm pretty much there. I quit working outside of the home, and I sew to make money. I enjoy sewing. A lot. I already live at or below my means. It's a work-in-progress, but it's almost there. I don't "need" all the things that others think are necessary to live. I've lived above my means for a loong time, and it doesn't feel good. Where I"m at now is in limbo in between, but for once, I can see light at the end of the tunnel, and it feels GOOD. I spend my time doing what I need and want to do as opposed to trying to figure out how to get the next bill money. Now, when I sew, I enjoy it more. Before, when I sewed, I felt stressed and pressured to get things done because we needed the money.

Do you feel that you are spending as much time as you'd like with your family? If not, what changes do you need to make in your life?
Yes. One of the reasons I strive to simplify our life and live below our means is so that my husband will be able to do the same.

What is your definition of success?
Enjoying what you do.