If I had a bazillion dollars

I would go around and buy up every piece of farmland that I see for sale in my state. It literally hurts my heart to see beautiful forests, fields, and farms destroyed, clearcut, and turned into soulless neighborhoods with identical houses and no trees.

The other day I was driving and saw a sign that said "For Sale: Great Development Property". It was a gorgeous field backed with woods. Looked like it had been some sort of cattle or horse farm at one time. I assume that if I drive down that same road in 10 years, I'll see a neighborhood there. Or a shopping mall. Or worse yet, a parking lot.

It's such a waste of beauty.

There used to be this big horse farm in my hometown. The property was outlined by a white picket fence. There were 2 very large ponds and areas of both woods and meadow. The little white house stood right in the middle of the property, and the horse stables were off the side and back. In the summer, the fields shone yellow with dandelions, and the horses roamed in peace throughout the property. I used to dream that I could live there.

That farm is now a neighborhood. The white picket fence has been replaced with a very tall stone wall with landscaping along the exterior. There's a big gate declaring "Luxury Homes" and inside are over a hundred homes built from 3-4 master plans. They have sidewalks, 1/4 acre yards, homeowners rules and regulations, but no trees. No playgrounds. No ponds. No woods, no horses, no nature. No fun.

No thanks.