My girls

Yesterday I took my girls to a birthday skating party. I was positively appalled at all the commerial junk flowing. I'm no purist- we buy the children plastic toys, and we love movies. But the funny part is that we are still considered "weird" by most people. We cancelled our satellite TV because we couldn't take the bombardment of advertisers telling our children they needed to lose weight and wear makeup. Even on harmless channels like The Nature Channel, the quality shows were being interuppted by NutriSystem and ProActive commericals. And don't even get me started on Nickelodeon. I have no problem with the cartoons, but the commericals would literally give me a headache. Bratz dolls. I can't even comprehend how a parent would give them to a child.

Anyway... back to the party. Three of the girls there were wearing Hannah Montana or High School Musical tee shirts. The birthday girl had Hannah-inspired hair extensions. Now, don't get me wrong, there's probably nothing wrong with Ms. Montana, but when I was an 8 year old girl, we were still into CARTOONS, not "real life" tv about high school girls and all the boys they are crazy for. I think when my girls are more into the 11/12 year old bracket, that sort of thing will be more acceptable to me.

It made me feel really proud to see my girls having a good time with the other girls and knowing that they had never watched Hannah Montana or High School Musical. And it made me feel even better to know that they didn't *care*! They show minimal interest. They are way more into playing and doing artsy things.