Pats Market in Brookport Illinois

While visiting the bank I decided to visit Pat's Market in Brookport Illinois.  They are located on the first street to your left as you come into Illinois on the metal bridge on Hwy 45.

They are a small, hometown type of grocery.  When you examine items you see actual price tags.  No scanners and bar codes in use here!

They have a decent selection of food and non-food items for a small grocery--they even rent movies!

While there I picked up a single bar of Kirk's Original Coco Castille Soap ($1.49), Bon Ami scouring powder ($0.79), Novel Wash Sudsy Ammonia ($1.25), and a four-pack of Stewart's Orange Cream Soda ($3.99) among other things.

They carried neither Fels Naptha nor Octagon soap, but they did have Borax.  Not sure of the size of the box, but it was over $4.00.  Since so many places like Kroger and Super-Valu in my area already stock Fels Naptha, I placed a request for them to please start stocking Octagon soap.  I gave them my number and plan to keep their number as well as visit them whenever I make a visit to my bank. 

This store was untouched by the mass-market technology so prevalent in modern markets. Their cash register receipt was very simplified: Grocery, Coke and 6% Misc.  I was charmed.

If you want to take a trip to a store that has eschewed so much "modern technology" please stop in to Pats Market on West 2nd Street.  To get exact directions you can call 618-564-3131 or click here for directions on Google.   Tell them that the lady who requested Octagon Soap sent you, and ask if they have the soap in yet :).

I didn't have my camera, but next time I go to the bank I will bring it along and snap a few photos for you.  This store is small enough they will actually listen to the customers, and will know you by name. 

Please give this little grocery some of your business!