Resisting Temptation

I subscribed to the local Freecycle network to use them as a place to eliminate things from my life as well as to locate things for free if I needed them.

I was a bit concerned when I signed up--afraid that I would try for everything that remotely interested me and would clutter my home up even more but I have surprised myself.

I have used the group a few times to eliminate things from my life that were no longer needed, and I have used them a couple of times to get some things I actually used (groceries).

The hard part is when something really tempting comes across.

Yesterday someone listed some 3.5 floppy disks that were new in box. I still use a floppy camera and since floppies are getting hard to find I was seriously tempted to request these but then I was reminded of the rather large supply I already have.

These things don't last forever and I have enough overstocked items.

I passed them up.

I have passed up several things on there that I would have used and it seems to get easier each time. I imagine cleaning it, rearranging it, finding places to put it and tripping over it... By the time I'm done I've usually turned against the item with a vehemence!

It is still a temptation to stock up on good deals at the store when I run across them but I am forcing myself to remember all of the stockpiled "good deals" that are NOT getting used at all anymore!

I have paper and ink pens out the wazoo thanks to sales, not including cleaning supplies, groceries and the like. Even clothing has been affected though not as much since I have began simplifying that area.

The paper and ink pens will eventually be used by the kids and grandkids and I will eventually use up the other supplies but would like to have less to keep.

I get so tired of taking care of these things! Whatever you do, wherever you go you've got this stuff to clean and stack and store--and move when you're looking for something else, and lose when you actually need it!

What is the point in having all of this crap if it does not give you pleasure?

What is the point in stocking up on stuff when you don't know what you will do tomorrow? I've given so much away--if you added up the money it would be obscene!

It's not that I don't like being generous--but the fact is this:  if I had taken that dollar, two dollars, five or ten that I spent stocking up on that "good deal" and instead put it in the bank it would be giving me back instead of taking from me in terms of transportation, storage space, time invested, etc.

That money could provide for a more secure future, a more peaceful future instead of what I have today.

Simplifying, minimizing--it isn't for the sake of seeing how low you can go. It is to make life easier and pare it down to the most effective point.

Resisting temptation makes reaching that point easier--but sometimes it is just so hard, especially when you are around those who don't share your beliefs.

How do you resist temptation?

LiveJournal Tags: ,