Simply Working

nov 22 059Working from home (or wherever) has two major pitfalls: procrastination and interruptions. I am discovering this the hard way as I work to make my living as a writer online.

I have friends and family who have been communicating with me regularly over the past few weeks and as a result my work has slacked off. Between that and my natural desire to procrastinate I have got to take action.

So today I sent messages to my loved ones that I am working and we have moved to the Library for some quiet time. The kid is playing games and watching videos on her laptop while I listen to piano music on Internet Radio and get some work accomplished. Yahoo Messenger has been turned off and I will work hard to keep out of my email and Facebook accounts while I work today.

I have been working hard to stay off the phone already for it seems to be my worst distraction. It never fails that any phone call lasts at least an hour and my concentration is totally shot. By the time I regain it and return to work the phone rings again. As a result the MagicJack will stay unplugged while I work and the cell phone turned to vibrate, if not turned off entirely.

As a result I have already achieved the day’s income goal and am now working on extra money to enjoy as well as add to my savings account.

I hope I can firm up the resolve to stay off the phone and Internet while I work. This will not only enable me to get my required daily batch of work done but enable me to get a little extra accomplished to build up my savings account as well.

My fear is that I will upset my loved ones but I have to work to support my home and my family and the distractions are greatly influencing how long I have to sit at the computer to work every day.

I would love advice from other freelance workers as to how best juggle the needs of family, friends and work while making an income from home. Does anyone have any tips?

LiveJournal Tags: