Some Digital Success

Lately I have been uploading some of my precious photographs to Microsoft’s Skydrive as an off-site storage and backup solution. I have a large amount of photographs so this has been a large undertaking.

Normally I keep every photo regardless of quality as well as images and screenshots that meant something to me however long ago. This upload process is actually enabling me to reduce and simplify the amount of images I am keeping.

As I have wandered through my digital archives I have been deleting images that are blurred, pointless or simply carry no meaning for my life anymore, like my collection of humorous images of cute animals and Linux wallpapers.

Part of me is surprised that I am able to pare down so easily but it feels quite good to be able to do so. This will not only enable me to reduce the storage space required but will simplify my photographic memories.

In the process of doing this I have also been able to delete some obsolete programs and old files that I no longer need. I have even managed to delete a few old books I downloaded from Project Gutenberg but never got around to reading! I even deleted a few that I have already read and probably will not want to read again!

True, these files only take up a few megabytes here and there but they are still clutter of a sort—digital clutter. If I don’t need then and won’t use then then why should I keep them?

I still have a ways to go when it comes to minimizing and simplifying my digital life but

the progress I see is heartening. Perhaps instead of investing in a larger external hard drive I can reduce my collections and use the hard drive space I already possess instead.

My sister asked what I would do if something happened to the electrical grid and there was no more electric to be had. I responded that if the event ever occurs the last thing on my mind will be reading a book or looking at photographs.

I know that she does not understand my determination to lead a mostly digital life and that is okay. Each of us have our own path to follow.

LiveJournal Tags: ,,,