The Labyrinth


Today I discovered a labyrinth near one of my favorite hangouts. I have never actually seen an authentic labyrinth before today so I stopped and read the sign:
The phrase about this being a walking meditation device reached out to me. I have had a lot on my mind lately and decided to give this a try.

I placed my foot upon the labyrinth and slowly walked the path. The subjects that had previously filled my mind tried to resurface a couple of times but I found them easy to ignore. Instead I was busy concentrating on where my feet were being placed within the path.

Somehow I felt calmer when I looked up to find myself near the globe in the center. For just a moment I thought about just walking out but then it occurred to me that I had to finish the journey.

I turned around and took the steps to retrace my path, slowly working my way back to the world.

I am not sure why but for some reason I feel calmer now that I have walked the path. Much calmer.

If you are in Paducah go visit the labyrinth near the Etcetera coffeehouse and walk the simple path. Watch your feet as you place them one before the other while you concentrate upon the twists and turns in the path.

Sometimes really simple things can help you in unexpected ways, and sometimes unexpected things can bring you wonderful gifts....

...Like the peace I feel as I type this in the coffeehouse nearby. I will visit this labyrinth again.