Scrumptious Recipe Comin' Up!

Happy, happy Friday! :) I hope everyone had an amazing week, full of joyful little moments. It was a lovely week here in the Smitten home. :) Lots of creating still going on, in fact it seems to have increased. You know how once the energy starts flowing it just snowballs? I've got several projects in my head right now, can't seem to decide which one to work on first! I did sit down this week and decipher my first crochet pattern, it took me 4 separate books just to figure the silly thing out! ;) I'll show you the finished product when it's complete. I feel such a sense of accomplishment every time I learn something new, in fact I'm heading back to my crochet hook as soon as I get done on the computer!

Before that, I'm going to share a recipe today. A vegan, organic, gluten free treasure. It's a bit more complicated than the simple veggie sides that I've shared before, so I've got tons of pictures. All of you veteran chefs out there can just skip over them all, but for those of you who'd like to try something new this weekend, I've tried to make it as easy as possible without actually cooking it for you! ;) This meal is Jordan's all time favorite and I think Scott may agree! It wasn't hard to convince Jord to photograph for me if it meant I was making these delights for lunch! And so, here we go ~ Millet Bean Balls with Creamy Coconut Sauce comin' up!

Time to gather the ingredients. Some of these foods may be new for you. Although I order most of my food bulk through a food coop, my local Stop and Shop does stock most of these items. If not there, then a trip to the local health food store should set you up.

Ingredients for Bean Balls : 1 cup of millet (uncooked), 2 1/2 cups water(to cook millet), 1/2 cup water, 1 small onion, 2 cups cooked beans, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 cup bread crumbs

Ingredients for Creamy Coconut Sauce: 1 can coconut milk, 1 can water, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 6 tbsps extra virgin unrefined olive oil, 6 tbsps brown rice flour

Begin by adding the 2 cups of beans, the diced onion,  1 tbsp dried basil, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 cup water 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1/2 tsp sea salt to the blender.

Throw it all in

Here we are, beginning to blend nicely. If you have any trouble you can either 1. shut off the blender and mix it quickly with a spoon or 2. add in a tiny bit more water. I don't have any trouble with this part though, and in fact it mixes quite quickly and easily.
Here it is, completely blended

Just another view. Put this aside, you'll come back to it later. 
In a large saucepan add 1 cup of uncooked millet. Dry roast it for several minutes, stirring regularly (I use medium heat) until it becomes fragrant. It won't look any different once it's done than when you started, you don't want it browning or burning, and you won't add anything but the millet to the pan. Millet doesn't have a very strong flavor and this is supposed to increase its taste. I'm not sure how necessary this step is since we're adding tons of other flavor, but it has become part of my routine whenever cooking with millet!
Once roasted add 2 1/2 cups water right to the pan (careful it will steam and bubble!), reduce heat (I use 4 or just below medium) and set timer for 25 minutes. Cover and leave alone, no need to stir, just patiently waiting for all of the water to be absorbed.
Here's what the millet will look like cooked. Once water is absorbed uncover and remove from heat. Don't stir yet, just let it sit for about 10 minutes or so. This will allow it time to fluff up nicely. 
Fluffy millet!
In a mixing bowl combine the bean mixture that we made earlier, 1 cup bread crumbs and cooked millet. Stir thoroughly. Here's what it'll look like. 
With wet hands shape into balls. I make mine rather large and get 12 big beans balls in a batch.
Wet hands are the secret to an easy time of it! ;)
Twelve delicious bean balls... so close to enjoying! I cover these with aluminum foil (being careful not to touch the foil to my food. Aluminum will leach into foods and that is something you definitely do NOT want!)and pop them in the oven to warm back up while the sauce is cooking. Probably around 400 degrees will do the trick.
Time to whip up the Creamy Coconut sauce! In a large saucepan add 6 tablespoons of olive oil to 6 tablespoons of brown rice flour. I use medium heat, never going any higher when using olive oil. Heat will destroy many of the nutritive properties,  and in fact, if olive oil reaches the smoking point (which is low on this oil) it becomes dangerously unhealthy. Olive oil is best and most healthy in its raw state.
Mix well and after about 3 minutes this will start to bubble. This pan that I used has a very thick bottom so it may take yours less time, keep an eye on it. Once it begins to bubble stir it constantly for about another minute.
Here's a photo of the sauce when it begins to bubble
This is my coconut milk of choice. If you can find it, I'd recommend it. All of the other milks I've come across have ingredients that I won't use, this one has been deemed safe by me. :) Shake it up well, it will tend to separate, especially in colder weather. I wish that it came in a glass bottle since I avoid cans studiously, but haven't found that option yet!
Time to add in 1 can of coconut milk, 1 can of water, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt,  and one 1 teaspoon of dried basil. Keeping the heat the same, stir well to combine.
After about 3 minutes mine started to thicken, this is what was on the bottom of the pan when I went to stir it. At this point I stir pretty continuously and after another 3 minutes or so it was the perfect consistency. Remove from heat and pull those delicious bean balls from the oven. Generously ladle the sauce over the bean balls and enjoy hot ~ so, so yummy!
I meant to take a photo after we had demolished this meal, but alas, in my delightful food induced coma, I forgot all about it! Two bean balls is more than enough for me, but those last two extra balls were split evenly between Scott, Taylor and Jordan, I didn't want any fistfights. ;)

So, anyone brave enough to try? I'm getting hungry just looking at the photos... ;) I hope I didn't leave anything out, it was hard to remember all I do when it's such routine! I'll post this recipe in a simplified version on my recipe page soon. :)

Before I leave you for today (my crochet hooks are calling, calling...) I'd like to congratulate Veronica Grace! She is my next Gratitude Giveaway winner ~ Yay Veronica!! When you have a second, please visit my Gratitiude page at the top of the blog and  make your selection. :) You can either leave your choice below in a comment,  email me, or contact me through Simply Smitten. Thanks for being such a faithful follower, your joyful comments always make me smile. I can't wait to see what you select! :) Wishing you all a delightfully relaxing weekend. :)

Peace & blessings ~ Melinda