Insert Twilight Zone Theme Song Here

Source Huh. How the heck did I end up here?
Do you ever get that strange and surrreal "Alice in Wonderland" feeling? Where you look around and wonder 'what the heck am I doing here?' Not, what am I doing here. Rather, what am I doing here? I really am that proverbial square peg in a round hole. Although I think that I tend to look fairly "normal" on the outside, on the inside I'm a huge, magnificent jumble of thoughts, feelings and beliefs that totally don't jive with the norm.

I will say that I am relieved and grateful that I'm truly at peace with being different. In fact, the mere thought of conforming for the sake of conforming and blending in gives me shivers. Truly scary shivers. I can only be who I am, I flunk pitifully at the whole pretending thing. Sometimes I wonder if I would be a better fit in another era. I think perhaps I could comfortably live in a hippie commune... minus the copious amounts of marijuana. So, on second thought... I guess not.

Why did I end up here, on this breathtaking Planet Earth? Really, I'm sure I'd be much better suited to another planet in our galaxy... or perhaps beyond. Possibly another reality or dimension. Where living clean is the rule, not the exception. Where organic food is the only food (and not a mere 10 selections out of the dozens at the grocery store!) Where factory farms, hunting, and eating fellow animals is unheard of, literally. Where living the life of your dreams is the only  life to live. Where complaining isn't an option, but embracing is the name of the game. Where finding the silver lining is the approach to any challenge life throws at you. Where people smile instead of scowl. Where family time, friend time, quiet time, any time is revered over electronic time. Where texting when engaged in a conversation with another human is a crime punishable by death. Okay, that one may be a teeny, tiny, bit extreme... ;)


What??? No donuts? Source
I am the most happy at home. I enjoy solitude and silence. I prefer the song of birds over most all else. I find that weeks slide by, one after another, before I even realize I haven't seen anyone outside of my immediate family. And that's okay. I own a cell phone that I never talk on. My eating choices completely baffle people: I don't eat sugar, wheat, anything artificial, meat, non organic foods, table salt, soy... this list could go on forever. I never drink alcohol. I homeschool. I'm a happy, heathy vegan. I embrace green living, totally and completely, from the solar panels adorning my roof to my homemade toothpaste and crunchy line dried towels. I won't eat in restaurants (until I find an organic, vegan cafe somewhere...anyone??) and you couldn't pay me enough to drink a soda. Or eat a donut. See what I mean? Weird.

My point is that who I am for this journey is vastly different from most anyone else that I have met thus far. Not just little I like vanilla and you like chocolate ways, but in ways so opposite end of the spectrum  people often have no idea what I'm talking about if I open my mouth and truly speak. Not the superficial chit chat that I can do easily enough, but the deep stuff that really feeds my soul. The nitty gritty of who I am and what makes me tick. I keep thinking that one day I'll meet that kindred spirit who looks at me and says "I get you. Totally."

Platypus in all its wonderful and wild glory! Source
Here's what I do know. I know who I am, for today anyway. I know I have an awesome husband and three amazing girls who embrace the strange and zany being that I am (thankfully). I know my purpose and my direction. I know that in small ways, everyday, I make a difference. And I know that there are no accidents. None. So if you ever feel like me, wondering at the sheer perplexity of it all, here's what I tell myself. I believe that everything we do, each of us, has value and purpose. Nothing is too small or insignificant. I know that I can't always see the 'why' of things, but just because I can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. And just because I can't see it, doesn't meant it isn't vitally important. And since there are no accidents  there is some wise and wonderful reason that I am a gloriously mismatched platypus among this world of cute and fuzzy cats and dogs.

So, I'll keep moving ahead, doing what is right for me, and just kind of... waiting. Wondering. Holding my breath to see what's in store for me and my unconventional ways. I know that there must be others out there like me, perhaps one day we'll cross paths and compare notes. Until then... I'm off to make some deodorant while I snack on some organic kale, and wash a load of laundry with magnets. Really, who does that? Me... ;)

Peace & blessings ~ Melinda