Tips for Reducing Your Waste (Part III): Donating


You can now share Our Front Porch View with your friends by adding our button to your own page! Simply copy the code in the righthand column and don't forget subscribe to our RSS feed and Like Us on Facebook.

This is Part 3 of the Tips for Reducing Your Waste series! Don't forget to check out Part 1 and Part 2!


Part 3: Donating 

One of my favorite blogs The Year of Less wrote an inspiring post recently about Choosing a Better Thrift Store.

I'll let you read the full post, but to summarize: She spoke about how in the past whenever she was clearing out old clothing, decor, and unneeded household items she always took them to the largest donation center because it was the most convenient - but perhaps not the most intentional. 

While reading it, I realized I do the same thing. I love shopping at Goodwill and Salvation Army. They are 5 minutes away, I can drop off my old items as I head in to shop. As I'm typing this I have three trash bags sitting by my door full of baby clothes waiting to be donated.

I know donating may seem like an obvious way to reduce your waste, but I felt sharing this perspective of being intentional about donating was inspiring enough to include it as it's own post in this series.

From now on, I decided I'm going to take our unwanted items to a different donation center.. Not just somewhere to keep it out of a landfill, but somewhere that they can be used by someone who may not be able to shop even at Goodwill.


Be sure to check back for Tips for Reducing Your Waste Part 4: Composting!





Thank you following along on our journey to simplicity. Please be sure to learn about our family, like our page on Facebook, and visit the right column to subscribe to our posts :)

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

Philippians 4:12



God Bless!