Stuffy Nose Home Remedy (Baby Safe)

In our home, with winter comes Christmas music, space heaters, and my personal favorite -- snot rubbed over every surface, blanket, sleeve, and towel within my toddlers reach.

It's cold season, people.

Despite my best efforts to keep my family healthy and their immune systems strong, I guess I shouldn't of been surprised that with the whirlwind of moving, lack of sleep, and recent weather changes - our worn out bodies would be a target for infections. 

And by our worn out bodies, I mean my two babies and husband's. Because apparently I am un-infectable. Probably because of the cod liver oil. Which means I get the privilege of playing nurse to three snotty, coughy, sleepy humans.

It's good to be needed.


Honestly though, I don't really mind. It's an excuse to lay low and rest. Colds are common. They are rarely life threatening. 

But as I look at the crusted mustache of snot on my toddlers fatigued face, I can't help but think, colds are pretty gross. 

All the saline drops, humidifiers, and orange juice in the world wouldn't clear any of them up. Then a friend reminded me...


Essential oils, duh. With her recommendation, I gathered up Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Cinnamon Leaf, Sweet Orange, and Rosemary. 

This combination, when diffused, is said to refreshen, cleanse, revitalize, clarify, purify, and invigorate. So we tried it yesterday.

And it works. Seriously. 

So much so that when I woke up this morning, my husband (who the day before asked me if he could just get some Nyquil) had already gone for round two himself. 

Since we don't have a fancy essential oil diffusor, we went the steam route. All you need is:
  • Essential oils: Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Cinnamon Leaf, Sweet Orange, and Rosemary. (or a single, pre-made blend) I am currently reviewing this set from Amazon
  • Water
  • A pot
  • Your Stove (or campfire)
  • A cold or cold infected person to be your ginny pig 

1. Fill your pot with 2-3 cups of water.
2. Add 2 drops of each essential oil
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer 
4. Enjoy the beautiful aroma now filling your home.

For best results - stand closer to the steam to help break up the mucus. Repeat throughout the day as needed.

The Bad News. This really does work. Kinda. It definitely clears you up - however, like any cold remedy, it's not a cure. It's just a way to release some of the discomfort that comes with a cold. Most colds last 7-10 days and even with adding in this remedy we're still pretty much in that range.

However we are all much more comfortable and my house smells awesome.


What are your favorite home remedies for cold season? Has anyone in your house caught one yet?


Full transparency: I want my readers to know that this post contains affiliated links. Meaning if you buy something via a link posted I will receive a small commission. It costs you nothing, but it helps me continue to run this blog, so thank you!


Linking up with the Natural Living Link Up and The Country Homemaker Hop!


Thank you following along on our journey to simplicity & contentment. Please be sure to learn about our family, like our page on Facebook, and visit the right column to subscribe to future posts!