TV and Children

When I was a kid, there were cartoons on Saturday morning, and that's IT. We were in the "dark ages" compared to my friends with Cable TV, and at the time I was totally embarrassed that we were so behind the times. Now I am very grateful to my parents for being so cheap!

I have some thoughts on kids and TV. Of course, I think it's bad. Who doesn't? Well...obviously not many people. It seems the "in" thing to say how bad TV is and how you wish your kids would stop watching it so much, but how many parents do I know who are acting on what they say? ONE. And that's my sister because she enrolled my niece in a Waldorf School, which is a whole 'nother topic LOL.

Anyway... back to my TV theory.

Kids are brats today. Plain and simple. They are manipulative, self-righteous, and arrogant. Obviously, not ALL kids, but I'm making a generalization based on observation in my community. There are countless reasons and failings of society that have molded children in this way, but the biggest influence is parents. We live in a society where parents complain to the school Principal if their kid makes a bad grade or pays the kid's way out of trouble. We reward our children with expensive toys instead of our love. I know one kid who got a GOLF CART for his birthday so he wouldn't have to walk 2 blocks to his friends house- now he can *ride*. And he's overweight, go figure.

I think one particularly naughty new parental habit is making the entire world revolve around children. It has it's perks, naturally, but it's hindrances as well. TV is one of those hindrances. Back to my original statement- "When I was a kid, there were cartoons on Saturday morning, and that's IT." Now, we have 4 or 5 channels (maybe more?) devoted 24/7 to kids. My children can turn on the TV at any time day or night and find a cartoon. This may be a minor player in "the world revolves around me" game, but it's a player nonetheless.

And there you have it.