Is Frugality Un-American?

If the heat kicked on any last night we did not hear, which is a wonderful change from the apartment we inhabited for the past several years. There is a bit of a chill outside at 55 degrees, but while it is cool in here it is far from cold. The thermometer in the kitchen says it is 68F in here, which is about where I plan to keep it during the winter, except at night when we will be snuggled up in blankets and won't need so much heat.

Layer weather has officially arrived then. I am not one for wearing huge amounts of clothing, but in the winter I wear a t-shirt underneath my sweatshirts, though I sometimes rotate with a long-sleeved tee and a zip up sweatshirt jacket depending upon the weather and my mood.

My very favorite sweat pants are becoming worn and faded; I probably should dye them but I may just see if I can continue to lighten them instead. Some people would just toss them out given their condition but their just so darned comfortable I want to see if I can eke at least another winter out of them. It isn't like I don't have any other pairs of sweatpants, but these are my favorite, tattered though they may be.

With the change in weather has come a craving for coffee. I have used the percolator to brew a pot which I poured into a thermos to keep warm - why use electricity when you don't have to?

Here in a bit I plan to start rearranging this furniture. It won't be too bad - not near as bad as it would have been just a few short years ago.

I figured out how to make the guinea pig pen look a bit more stylish than a kiddie pool sitting in my living room. A small brick wall built around should give it some style and flair, and I can place my large mother-in-law's tongue plant as a backdrop when I bring it inside shortly. I may try to make it a plant area, but I have to be careful to make sure none of the plants drape in with the piggies just in case they are toxic. I have some bricks outside already so I won't have to purchase any.

I wonder: with the economy as it is and all the talk about needing to stimulate the economy, am I being un-American by wanting to use what I have and only buy when I don't have a choice? That random thought occurred to me as I was falling asleep last night.

I don't plan to change because I enjoy being more responsible, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts concerning the subject. Has it become un-American to want to save your money and live on less? What do you think?