Less Dishes: Less Clutter

A while back I pared down my dishes, silverware and other kitchen items. I was a bit nervous about reducing to the degree I wanted to but did it anyway.

It did not work miracles: I’m still horrible at doing dishes but I am forced to wash them more often this way, which keeps clutter in the kitchen down significantly.

Overall if one reduces the amount of stuff they own and use it will reduce the amount of clutter in the home.

I have been actively working toward a more minimal lifestyle for a couple of years now but just this past year has seen a dramatic improvement in how much time I actually spend cleaning.

I don’t have to clean as much because I don’t have as much to clean. Which translates into more time for me and the kid.

I spend less time shopping, and more time doing other things that I enjoy. I do spend a little more time in food preparation, however. It takes a few minutes more to chop up veggies from scratch than it does to microwave a pizza or nuke a burrito (both of which I’m famous for) but the meals are healthier and more tasty.

My electric bill has went down as well: last month it was $30 and this month around $25.  I credit this to not using my clothes dryer as well as other things.

All of this has me thinking that perhaps I can reduce a bit more, and once again I am eyeing my possessions wondering what else I can eliminate from my life.  The clutter control factor of having less stuff really rocks, and I’ve got to pursue this further.