Reducing Paper Clutter

dave_writing

I am a large proponent of notes. Normally I keep a pad of paper nearby to jot down lists, memos, things to do or even just to scribble upon. I have done this since I was a child and so whenever my frugal heart locates a good deal on paper I tend to stock up.

Unfortunately this has resulted in a large overstock of notebooks in my life, and while the price was definitely right I really wish I could simplify all of this paper clutter.

One of the gadgets that I consider an essential if my faithful Palm Lifedrive. This is used to keep track of appointments and contacts as well as being used as an ebook reader and a portable music and video player.

Within this little device are two applications I very rarely use: a to-do list and a notepad. The notepad is occasionally used as a doodle pad when I’m out and bored, but that is about it.

Perhaps, instead of using paper for all of my notes and scribbles—perhaps I can train myself to use the PDA instead?

I must be totally honest here—I have tried this in the past and failed miserably. The habit of grabbing a pen and paper are so ingrained that this one is really hard to beat. If I CAN beat this habit I will not only reduce my paper expense but I will reduce clutter, have my notes readily available and be able to reduce the amount of paper I keep in my presence.

Part of me worries that if I actually succeed in this I will end up a total geek, which I find amusing in a strange sort of way. Part of me worries that it will be another failure, and part of me worries that I am just being silly at trying to simplify and change a habit that I have carried for as long as I can remember.

I know that it would be so nice to walk past the paper section of the store without being assaulted with that siren call for notepads. It would be nice to have all my notes already digitized and ready to go. It would be soo nice to NOT have reams of paper scattered about.

Perhaps this is one thing I am not entirely ready for, but if I can make a tiny step in that direction by just making a point of putting my to-do lists and some of my notes into the LIfedrive isn’t that a good start?

Baby steps. Baby steps.

Baby steps become big steps.

Okay, I’m psyched now. Time to get to work!