Living Without A Scanner

A short while ago I blogged about the fact that my Printer/Scanner was offline due to a damaged power cord. Instead of attempting a repair of the cord I just started doing any random printing at the library instead of bothering it. I used the scanner on it far more than the printer anyway and would like to see if I can live without yet another device.

The floppy camera in this picture was used when I bought it off of Ebay several years ago and has actually outlasted some newer digital cameras I purchased to improve the quality of my photographic images. Currently it is my primary camera.

I have been using this device to take pictures of things that I would normally scan.  On larger papers the quality is not as crisp as I prefer but I am still able to get a legible image from it. I have also read about some people using the cameras on their iPhones to capture images instead of using a scanner as well.

I am not sure if I will continue using this method but I did successfully manage to get a copy of an old photograph of my father using this idea:
The quality is reasonable considering that this photo was taken in 1968 and has been carted around by yours truly since she was a child so overall I am quite pleased with the result.

I do like the fact that I do not have to move the laptop over to where I have the scanner and connect anything--just lay out whatever it is and snap a picture!

I believe I can successfully live without a printer but the scanner I am not so sure about. If I can get a better quality image using a camera I may just eliminate the scanner from my life entirely to save space.

Has anyone else managed to eliminate a scanner from their life?