Eco-Tip ~ Minty Fresh Baking Soda Toothpaste


Everything you'll need to make your own toothpaste!

Happy Tuesday all! J Today’s eco-tip is going to revisit toothpaste. I know I’ve been here before, but with me things are always achangin’ and I like to keep you posted on all of the new recipes that I find, adapt and adore! When I first began this journey towards perfect health I discovered that most all beauty care products and cosmetics are very dangerous stuff. Don’t want to believe that, do you? I know I didn’t. If you’re feeling brave, visit SkinDeep.org and see for yourself what nasties lurk in those products you use everyday. Cosmetics have virtually no restrictions, meaning companies can use whatever ingredients they want to achieve that shine, color or lasting durability. It’s pretty scary stuff when known carcinogens abound with no protection for the unaware consumer. So when I promptly threw out everything I owned (yes, that’s pretty much how I approach things!) I was left to figure out what we could safely use. I did eventually find a replacement for each and every bottle, tube or jar, but virtually nothing was available at my local Stop and Shop,  Walmart or even health food store. Thankfully, that still left me with the Internet, and over time I was able to locate and order safe alternatives. What that means for me however, is that I must stay on top of everything, all the time, so that we don’t run out and leave us all in a  lurch (as if I don’t have enough to do!). Shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, soap, toothpaste, all things we use on a daily basis. This past year I decided that although I was grateful to these companies dedicated to safe and all natural products, I was ready to do things on my own. No more shipping costs. No more ordering. No more waiting. Mother Nature to the rescue.

One day, on a quest for recipes, I was perusing the Internet for deodorant alternatives and I came across a toothpaste recipe that had me super excited! I tried it out right away and was quickly and deliciously hooked! It was sweet like a peppermint candy, minty, and left my mouth feeling clean, fresh and oh so lovely! Here’s my adaptation ~

Freshly made toothpaste and also the consistency above 75 degrees

Minty Fresh Baking Soda Toothpaste
3 heaping tablespoons of aluminum free baking soda
2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
¼ tsp stevia

In a bowl combine the baking soda and stevia. Melt the coconut oil, add to the baking soda and drop in the peppermint oil. Mix well and store in a covered container.

How did the family react? From what I can remember both Taylor and Riley hopped on board right away. Jordan (my great resistor) took about 3 days to warm to it before she was in love. Scott was quite content to use up the rest of the Miessence toothpaste we still had on hand (hmmm, where did Jordan's resisting gene come from I wonder… ) until one day we were out. And I wasn’t interested in ordering more. I believe it took one solitary brushing before he was solidly and happily hooked. The consistency of this toothpaste will change with the weather, coconut oil is liquid above 75 degrees and solid below. I leave the container in a kitchen drawer and we just take a spoonful before we head up to brush. Take a minute or two to swish it around your mouth, through your teeth, over your gums (tastes delish!). Then brush gently. After each brushing I always rinse with a mixture of sea salt and water. This kills germs and bacteria and keeps my gums feeling fabulous. {Please note that this toothpaste is nothing like what you'll find in a traditional tube of toothpaste. Make sure to give yourself enough time to adjust to the new texture, taste and consistency.}


Consistency of toothpaste when below 75 degrees. Melts instantly once it meets your mouth. :)

Wondering what had me dumping that commercial tube toothpaste? Here are a couple of reasons why ~

Fluoride
causes skeletal problems, bone cancer, rashes, mouth sores
causes fluorosis (discolored teeth)
poisonous, formerly used as rat poison & insecticide, but stopped when found to kill the plants
never been approved by the FDA for ingestion
linked to lower IQ levels
98% of Europe has already banned fluoride in drinking water but 2/3 of American water is fluoridated
bioaccumulates in plants and animals

Saccharin
Causes cancer in animals
made from coal tar initially, but can now also be made from sulfur dioxide, chlorine and ammonia (hmmmm, sounds like they simply replaced toxic with toxic)

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate (SLES)
skin irritant, carcinogenic and/or prone to contamination by 1,4-dioxine (carcinogenic),
linked to canker sores, lowers immunological response,
may cause reproductive and developmental issues

Synthetic dyes

FD&C Red 3
linked with thyroid tumors, behavioral problems, poor concentration, hyperactivity
a coal based dye and its use is restricted

FD&C Red 33
restricted use in cosmetics and not approved for use around the eyes (but okay in the mouth???)

FD&C Red 40
Banned in 8 European countries

FD&C Yellow 10 Lake
genotoxic (genetic mutation), development of tumors
believed to make children hyper, distracted and prone to tantrums

Here are a couple of articles if you're surprised about the flouride facts, after all most of us have been told our entire lives that in order to have healthy teeth and gums we need it, right?



And so, that is my eco-tip for the day. Whip up a batch of your very own toothpaste, your teeth and gums will thank you for it. Have a wonderful day friends, and happy, happy brushing! J

Peace & blessings ~ Melinda