Friday, May 25, 2012

I had a post idea in mind, I'm prepared with my books for info, my photos and the words to share swirling around in my mind. But there is something else forcing its way, elbowing to the front of the line. So, as with most of my days, I'll just go with it... ;)

I have made a concerted effort in the last couple of years to carefully choose the people that surround me. I disclose plans and ideas to only those that will support and cheer me on. I have carefully,  yet lovingly cut loose the people in my life whose words and worlds contain judgments, harsh and unyielding opinions or strong negativity. It has no place in my universe and the environment that I'm set on creating. I simply don't believe that everyone we have ever known is meant to stay in our world forever. Some are destined to come and go, influencing, sharing, guiding us for as long as they accompany us. If we no longer feed each other's growth, than it's time to say goodbye. Perhaps we'll meet again. :)



"Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before we can meet again and meeting again, after moments or a lifetime, is certain for those who are friends." ~ Anonymous



I adore my peaceful and positive world. Invasions are few and far between and only serve to solidify the path I've chosen. Now, enter Taylor, my oldest at almost 16. Her love of writing created her blog, Perfectly Sensible Nonsense with its many vocal and Christian followers. This always strikes me as particularly humorous because so many of the issues she writes about are strongly frowned upon by the church... and her followers. We have been a deeply spiritual family for awhile now, but deeply religious? No. Emphatically no. The God found and quoted in most churches is not the God I discovered and uncovered in my heart. The God who loves me wholly and completely. The God who says "Live and Let Live" and actually means it. 

Her blog is an avenue to speak her truth and I support that 100%. The problem comes in when those deeply judgmental comments invade and poison my home with their negative, exclusive and unkind energy. They are strong and tenacious little suckers. Little fat, bloated ticks that just won't let go...

Her most recent post is about gay rights. As usual she writes with passion and conviction in what she believes. It is an eloquent and well thought out post. In my humble opinion it is overflowing with valid points, meant to make a reader pause and give question. I totally enjoyed reading her thoughts and would encourage anyone interested to head on over and hear what she has to say ~ Just Another Straight Girl For Gay Rights.


All is good... until the comments start to roll in, sometimes with surprising and hateful venom and ignorance. It really does catch me a bit off guard because I forget that not everyone is in the same place in their evolution. I forget that judgments and criticisms are so rampant in the church (and the world). I forget that not everyone believes in the same loving and judgement free God as I do. I forget that the world is still full of 'right' and 'wrong'. 

Sometimes it really does come as a surprise that while I've been on a journey of self-discovery, love and total acceptance, the world has pretty much... stayed the same. While mostly I accept this, after all we are each on an adventure of our own making, with a wide spectrum of realities to experience, sometimes, briefly, it catches me off guard and fills me with sorrow. 




"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." ~ Mother Theresa


Sorrow because the writers of these comments don't even realize how much their judgments cut them off from their fellow human beings. Human beings who have so much to offer us in the way of growth, acceptance and discovery. Sorrow because they feel justified in sanctioning war and violence, but then attempt to restrict love. It sounds totally crazy, doesn't it? I say attempt because they will never 'win' this one. One day, hopefully not too far in the future, we will look back with incredulous expressions and wonder "What were we thinking?" 

After meditating and mulling it over last night I had to tell Taylor that she is of course free to write about whatever her heart desires, however I won't allow the responses to poison my world with their low energy. Comment moderation is a good idea and has come in handy for her on this post, but I can see the negativity affecting her even if she can't. I can see the irritation and even flares of anger disrupt her usually even personality. 


I can see how sharing the comments she receives infect her sisters and water negative seeds of  judgments in them. I can see how intolerance grows and spreads. Once we (my girls) start to judge them (negative commentors) for their judgments we become part of the problem, we widen that hurtful division. We foster separation. We begin to create negativity, the very thing we're so against.

And so I leave you with those thoughts today, I'm not sure why they felt such a need to be spoken, but there they are. Really, people, spread the love. It's the quickest, most painless way to embrace  the change that is inevitable. Because one day, love will conquer all. :) 

All photos today are courtesy of Jordan (My Rainbow Veins). Aren't they lovely? :)

Peace & Blessings ~ Melinda