Day 6 . Changing My Heart for the Hard Things



When you're busy and not living intentionally, it seems like it's always the more difficult and challenging things that get pushed aside. (Like exercising and eating nutritious meals - among other things). Unfortunately for me, that means it's been easy to let life get in the way of my daily devotions. 

Devotions are one of the things I need the most. But they are the too often one of the things that I resist. During this month, I've realized the reasons why I've been neglecting something that is so important.

1. Lack of time - Which I've solved now that I'm waking up early
2. Lack of accountability - After 9 months, I finally emailed a request to be added to a House Church (similar to a Bible study) every week. Also, this blog provides accountability!
3. For some reason I've convinced myself that spending time in God's word is hard. It's something I have to do, but it's not enjoyable. It's not as fun as wasting time on Pinterest or watching HGTV.

The last one is a hard one. 
Because the last one shows that real problem isn't that devotions are hard. Yes, devotions are challenging but they aren't hard to do. 

The real problem is in my heart. The real problem is that my priorities are wrong. The problem is that by choosing to do other things over daily time with God, I'm not living for God, I'm living for me. 

So, as a starting point, I joined the challenge this month to read the sermon on the mount (Matthew 5-7) every single day.

I'll be honest...

1. It has been YEARS since I've read this passage
2. I have been less than faithful lately in spending time in God's word on a regular basis 

Despite the fact that I haven't studied these verses in a long time, I was amazed on my first day of reading how familiar it was. Not only familiar in the actual words, but also familiar in the content. 

It's incredibly relevant to my life.

I'm ready to surrender myself, my priorities, and my habit of doing the easy things. I encourage anyone to join me.

Is there something 'hard' in your life that has lost priority?


Thank you following along on our journey to simplicity. Please be sure to learn about our family, like our page on Facebook, and visit the right column to subscribe to our posts :)

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

Philippians 4:12


God Bless!