Homemade Alfredo Sauce

I am not going to pretend I am a five star chef.
I enjoy cooking. And preparing meals from scratch/at home is not only healthier but far more inexpensive, even though it does require some skill and time.

If you ask Tommy about my cooking at the beginning of our marriage, he'll laugh and without hesitation tell you about the time I almost burned down our first apartment making chips and cheese.

It's okay. I'll admit it.
I've come a long way on my homemaking journey since then. I don't think Tommy would ever tell me he didn't like my cooking, but the true sign that I was actually improving my culinary skills was the first time he asked me to make chicken alfredo again.

I think it's every housewife's dream to have a husband who enjoys her cooking. And by cooking I mean mixing. Because literally all you do in the recipe is mix things together, on low, on the stove.

Little heat, mixing, happy husband.


I can't take credit for this recipe. It is adapted from one my beautiful italian friend Megan taught me.

For more recipes, beautiful writing, and inspiration please go visit her at her blog Love Letters 7.10... and tell her thank you while you're there!

Now time for some pasta!


Homemade Alfredo Sauce
(Even for the Domestically Challenged?)

Ingredients

1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup of flour (I use spelt but white flour will also work)
Milk
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
Optional: Diced Bell Peppers, Chicken

IMPORTANT: Keep your sauce pan on low for this recipe, even though I have the constant urge to crank up the burner and speed the process up I've learned that it ends up making the sauce too thick.
And honestly this only takes like 7 minutes anyways.

Directions

  • In a small sauce pan, melt butter on low. 
  • Slowly add in your flour, whisking out any clumps until there is a smooth consistency. (Umm, like thick melted butter.. because that's what it is)
  • Add milk until you reach your desired consistency (this is totally a preference - I know some people prefer thicker while others like a soupy sauce)
  • Add parmesan and a pinch of salt. 
  • Continue to whisk together until completely mixed in
  • Add more milk if necessary until consistency is perfected
  • Optional: Add in diced bell peppers and/or chicken (I like to use green and red bell peppers to make it Christmas-y.. oh yes)

Done!


I use this recipe with regular-ole-whole wheat spaghetti. Somethings I add chicken if we have some leftover (tonight I used shredded chicken left over from making stock and there were no complaints).


Thank you following along on our journey to simplicity & contentment. Please be sure to learn about our family, like our page on Facebook, and visit the right column to subscribe to future posts!