Down Side to Minimalism

To my surprise I have discovered a down side to minimalism.

My family and friends have watched and wandered as I have thinned down my possessions, listened as I dream of living an even simpler and more mobile life than I am currently able to and several have made a decision.

They have decided that I need to come live with (or around) them.

This wouldn't be quite so bad if they didn't all live in such disparate parts of the country. One friend lives in Ohio, another in Michigan, one lives in Tennessee and various friends and family live in parts of Central Kentucky.

My sister is quite adamant that I need to pick up and buy a house with her in Central Kentucky despite the fact that at present I am perfectly content in Western Kentucky. My other friends and family all seem to agree that I am sufficiently footloose and fancy free enough to come live in their areas (whether they know each other or not).

They all seem to think that with my minimalist attitude that such a relocation would be a pleasure and an adventure for me, that I would enjoy once again living near to friends and family instead of miles and miles away. They seem to think that since I am a minimalist that it would be simple and easy to relocate and this would allow me to use my free time to help do this or care for that.

I journeyed into minimalism because I was lazy, NOT because I wanted to free up my time to work even harder!

I traveled to this area because I wanted to escape Central Kentucky, and my reason for leaving that area is still there!

I love my current living situation and location. I really, really do! While I would like to eventually move into smaller digs and travel some I have absolutely no desire at present to change the town that I currently call home.

Somehow I continually fail to convince certain ones that I like my life. I like my home and I like where I live. I love my town and cherish my free time. I have no current desire to dedicate my life to some cause regardless of how worthwhile.

Just because I can relocate easily, just because I can and frequently do travel to visit certain areas does not mean I want to move there!

How do you tell someone you love (in my case, several people I love) that you have no intention of relocating regardless of how much they pressure you? How do you tell them to drop the subject without being rude and hurting their feelings?

How do you tell someone that you love that despite the fact that you love them you don't want to move in with them or their stuff and you have no desire to move to their hometown and be their neighbor?

How do you tell someone that you really do NOT want to live in their back yard right now?

This is a down side to Minimalism that I honestly never expected. Some think I am poor and would be grateful to move in and use their stuff, others think I should use my time for a "better purpose" while some have completely different reasons for their requests.

I am not sure how to handle this. Just today I came very close to snapping at my sister because she would not drop the subject and I do not like this sensation. Perhaps it would be easier if she were the only one but she isn't and it is starting to get old rather fast.