Hair

Friends, will you talk to me about hair?

I feel called to covering and to plain and simple dress - not Amish dress, but loose, long dresses that are never see-through, cover up body shape etc etc - but I have questions about tying hair up tight.  I know about it in biblical tradition, and the implications for social custom in biblical times, but I'm interested to know what people think about it now.

I really dislike having my hair bound up, and have always worn it loose.  I feel very sure about a call to plain and simple dress and headcovering, but not about bound up hair.   In the Bible it says about women not having fancy hairdos, just plain and simple hair... but... tell me what your own thoughts are on this.

I know some of you, like Anna, cover all your hair.  The Amish and Mennonites wear see-through caps so their hair can be seen but it is scraped back tight in a bun.   Conservative Plain Quakers like Ibbie wear caps that show just a little hair and bonnets.  Here the brethren women wear veils with unbound hair.

This is what I have from the Bible:

1 Corinthians 11:15
But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
(and this goes with the instructions that a woman shall cover her head - and I like to read this alongside Ephesians 5 too)


1 Timothy 2:9
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;


1 Peter 3:3
Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

I shall be so grateful if y'all can take some time to talk to me about your own observations.