Day 2 . I will never be superwoman

Realistic expectations

I decided I need to live with the realistic expectation that I will never be superwoman. 

I have a lot of roles.
I'm a wife. I'm a mom. I'm a follower of Christ. I'm a homemaker, a daughter, a sister, a teacher, a friend, a neighbor... many of those all at the same time.

I think many of us have a long wish list of what we'd like to accomplish, how we hope our appearance would be, and what reactions we want to see from our husbands when we not only have dinner on the table BUT we spent four hours making organic pasta from scratch and fresh tomato sauce from your 3,200 square foot garden.

And you never. get. any of it.

If I spend all day cleaning and organizing laundry, the dishes aren't done. If I spend three hours at the gym, we order pizza for dinner. If I spend the entire day outside, engaging with my kids there is always a basket of socks waiting to be paired. There's always more.

YOU JUST CAN'T WIN

Or can you?
Even if I did accomplish everything on my list, couldn't there always be more that wasn't on the list at all? More homeless people to feed, more scripture to memorize, more marathons to run..

Maybe the problem isn't my list itself; maybe the problem is my attitude about the list.

I realized the reason why I was always so dissatisfied with myself was because my expectations were unrealistic. If I want to be intentional about my day, my attitude, my self worth, I need to be realistic. I can't control other peoples reactions, I can't spend 3 hours at the gym every morning, and I can't spend $50 on a months worth of groceries for a family of four.


When I have unrealistic expectations of myself I waste time and energy dealing with frustration and disappointment. Time and energy that I need to put towards everything I am accomplishing, instead of what I'm not.

Do you have certain expectations?
How do you feel when you fall short of your expectations?


Thank you following along on our journey to simplicity. Please be sure to learn about our family, like our page on Facebook, and visit the right column to subscribe to our posts :)

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

Philippians 4:12


God Bless!